Transnet receives 2 Chinese electric locomotives

November 22, 2013 — 1 Comment

THE FIRST two of 95 Class 20E dual-voltage electric locomotives being supplied to Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) by the CSR E-loco supply consortium was transferred from the port of Durban to the nearby depot at Umbilo on November 14 for commissioning.

The first 10 locomotives are being built by CSR Zhuzhou Electric Locomotive in China, while the remaining 85 units will be assembled in South Africa by Transnet Engineering. CSR is a 70% partner in CSR E-loco Supply, with local partner Matsetse Basadi holding the remaining 30%. The contract specifies a target of 60.5% for localised content.

The 3MW Class 20E is equipped for operation on 25kV ac and 3kV dc electrification systems and will be used by TFR’s general freight business.

Transnet says the two locomotives have been delivered a month earlier than expected, and it expects a second consignment of four units to arrive in South Africa next month. Source: www.railjournal.com (Pictures credits: FTW Online, and various)

Advertisements

One response to Transnet receives 2 Chinese electric locomotives

  1. 

    I like the fact that we will be importing lesser & lesser resources at Transnet, it makes economic sense plus there will be an increase in job creation in SA, which is in line with our market demand strategy. Going forward, I hope this initiative will see us in a position where we as Transnet, TFR to be precise, are also able to deliver a scheduled railway or even before time, as was the case with these 2 locos.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s